Do You Need to Replace Your Pipes?
Posted on September 19, 2017 by oozle
Why You Should Replace Your Pipes
Your plumbing is perhaps one of the last things you think about within your daily routine. It’s definitely an out-of-sight-out-of-mind kind of thing. We understand that dealing with leaking, broken or burst, and clogged pipes is a major hassle, which is why we want to go over the benefits of replacing your pipes.
Whether you’ve just moved into an older home and don’t know the situation on your plumbing, or have been living in the same place for a long time and haven’t looked at your plumbing in a while, it’s probably time to replace your pipes. This will prevent future headaches and costs, improve the quality of your water and plumbing system, as well as provide you with peace of mind in your home.
To repair or replace?
It can be difficult to tell if you need to replace your pipes or maybe just repair them, so here are a few things you can check to determine your next move:
- Check for any leaks – if you’re experiencing any leaks in your home this can mean either that you need to replace them or just repair them. The amount of leaks will help determine that.
- Assess water flow to sinks, showers, and toilets. Do these items flow slowly? Does it take a while for your water to become hot?
- Find the history of your plumbing system. Find out when your house was built, and see if you have any records on when and if your pipes have received any repairs. To help you figure this out, check out inspectapedia’s step-by-step.
- Figure out what type of pipes you have – this can indicate how long they will last. Visit your home’s home inspection report to find out this information.
Now that you’ve learned more about your plumbing than you ever thought you would, it’s time to determine if you should get them repaired or replaced.
- If you’ve got multiple leaks – it’s time to replace your plumbing system.
- If your water flow is low – you’ll need to replace your pipes.
- If your system is older than 20 years – replace your pipes.
- If your pipes are made of CPVC or galvanized steel – then it’s time to replace them (unless they’re less than 10 years old).
What about repairs?
- If you only have one or two leaks – get them repaired by a plumber.
- If water flow is only slow in certain areas of the home – check to see how much water you’re using simultaneously.
- If your system is younger than 20 years – check for needed maintenance.
- If your pipes are made of copper or PVC pipes – you’re probably good to just get them inspected every few years as these pipes are built to last.
What are the benefits?
If you’re concerned about the cost of repiping your home, we understand that too. Plumbing is never an easy thing to get repaired or replaced. With that being said, here are a few reasons you might want to replace your pipes:
- You will prevent future pipe leaks and breaks
- Your water flow will be stronger and more consistent
- You won’t have to deal with clogged pipes
- Your water will contain less contaminants
- You will increase the value of your home
- You won’t have to worry for several years!
Understanding what is going on in your home is essential to peace-of-mind. At ProServ, we want our customers to feel comfortable and content in their home without having to worry about leaks and clogs. Consider getting new pipes in your home to help ease worry. For all piping repair, replacement, and plumbing needs, contact ProServ at 702-358-0483 and we will get your home back in working order!