Do I Need to Repair My Appliances?
Posted on December 26, 2017 by oozle
Why You Should Repair Your Appliances
News: you might be taking your appliances for granted. That’s okay though because we all do. You move into your new home and you take whatever appliances are already there. From your refrigerator to your washing machine, you’re just happy that you have them at all. Forget if they’re actually efficient or effective, right?
Perhaps what we’re describing here fits a little more with the lifestyle of a college student who is just pleased that they don’t have to take their dirty laundry to a laundromat across town. However, the need to repair or upgrade your appliances is still great. And we’ll tell you why…
Your Old Appliances are Costing You $$
Who knew? As much as you likely hate hearing it, newer appliances will actually save you money. That doesn’t mean you need to immediately go out and purchase new appliances. It could simply mean that you need to repair your existing ones. How are they costing you money, you ask? Well, it depends on the appliance.
- Washer/Dryer – Your clothing machines are big and expensive to begin with, but if they aren’t working you’re likely paying more on your gas bill. Your washer probably isn’t filling up with hot water efficiently, which can raise your bill, and your dryer might not be heating up enough to properly dry your clothes which means you’ve got to dry them twice. If you’re wondering why your electric and gas bills are so high, look to your washer and dryer first.
- Fridge – Your refrigerator takes up only about 4% of your electricity, but if it isn’t running correctly, that number could be a lot higher. You’ll know your fridge needs a repair if it has a hard time keeping up a certain temperature, and if your food is spoiling before it should be.
- Electric oven – Your oven is also a low energy consumer, but again, if it’s running poorly it can cost you more. Check to see how long it takes your oven and stovetop to heat, and if it is taking longer than 10-15 minutes, have someone come take a look at it.
- Dishwasher – This is one of the bigger consumers in your home, and if your dishwasher takes more than one wash to clean your dishes, it might require an inspection. Heating that much water for that long takes a lot of power and will cost you more, so you definitely want to be avoiding washing your things more than once.
- Water Heater – Your water heater is working hard to heat your water year-round. That means that besides your air, this is the most expensive part of your bill. Besides the horrible thought of taking cold showers, having a slow or broken water heater means that you will be paying LOTS of extra money to get even small amounts of hot water for your dishes, laundry, and showers. If you have a high bill, this one could be your biggest contributor.
How to Help
Each of the above issues can be both prevented and treated. To continue getting the best life out of your appliances you should have them checked every year or so. Simply hire a plumber or appliance technician to come have a look. They can provide services like part replacement, cleaning, and general repair. Try to lessen your appliance use if possible, and always check things out as soon as you suspect there is a problem.
When do I need to replace my appliances? Again, you’ll need to have a professional come take a look at them because they’ll be able to tell you what your next move should be. However, check out Sears’ guide for how long certain appliances should last.
Finally, smaller appliances like microwaves and coffee makers should be repaired or inspected for damage every few years. Before you purchase that shiny new space heater, do your research and see how long it should last you. Take good care of it, and because most places don’t offer repair services for such small appliances you should simply replace them. That’s why it’s good to invest in a machine that will last you a longer time instead of spending less on a faulty device.
ProServ: Your Appliance Repairman
ProServ Las Vegas offers repair and replacement services for all major appliances like those listed above. We are equipped to handle and are experienced with all brand types and we are happy to provide you with an inspection when you question your device’s integrity. For all questions regarding appliance repair please contact us at 702-656-4500. We look forward to helping you get your home back in working order!