How To Tell if My Water Main is Broken
Posted on November 24, 2020 by oozle
A water main is an important part of any home as it’s an essential tool used to get water for cooking, drinking, showering, etc. A water main’s purpose is to channel the appropriate amount of water to your home’s plumbing system from the public water supply.
For a visual representation on how a water main works and where it’s located, check out our infographic:
Now let’s dive deeper into the different aspects of a water main. We’ll discuss how they work, how they can break, and what to do if they break.
Who Is in Charge of Fixing a Water Main?
When it comes to fixing a water main issue, either the city or the property owner is in charge of the clean up. It’s the property owner’s responsibility when the break occurs on their side of the property line. The opposite is true for the city. This means that if the break occurs on their side of the property line, the city is required to pay for it and fix it.
What Are the Signs That Your Water Main Is Broken?
Knowing the signs that your water main is potentially broken or having an issue can save you time and money as well as help you avoid bigger problems. Here are some common signs that your water main could be experiencing some trouble:
- There’s unexplainable puddles in your house, yard, sidewalk, or street.
- You’re experiencing low water pressure throughout your house.
- Your water bill has increased drastically in recent months.
- You’ve noticed a crack in your house’s foundation.
- Water is gushing uncontrollably from the ground.
- The drywall of your ceiling or wall is damp.
- There’s a weird odor in your home.
Why and How Can a Water Main Break?
A water main can break or crack due to several reasons including both manmade as well as naturally. Some of the most common reasons are the following:
- Corrosion caused by old pipes or high mineral content.
- Construction activities such as excavating.
- Cold weather and shifting in the ground.
- Fluctuations in water pressure.
- Material that the pipe is made out of.
Are There Any Precautions I Need to Take if It Is Broken?
When it comes to a water main break, keeping yourself, as well as others safe is a priority. Here are steps that can be taken while your water main is fixed:
- Shutting off your water supply and drain the pipes.
- Consider contacting the local health department to make sure your water is safe.
- Check your homeowners’ insurance provider for any coverage on water main breaks.
Contact ProServ Las Vegas
At ProServ Las Vegas, we value our customers and strive to provide a quality service with quick problem solving in the event of emergencies. If you suspect a water main break, contact us at 702-656-4500 as soon as possible to assess the situation and get the problem resolved.
Categories: Plumbing Repair • Water Quality
Leave a Reply