Everything You Need to Know About AC Furnace Air Filters
Posted on August 15, 2022 by oozle
A central air conditioning and heating system is an important feature for many homeowners. The best way to enjoy it during those cold winters or hot summer days is by properly maintaining your HVAC system. One of those most important parts of your HVAC system is the air filter. The purpose of AC furnace air filters is not only to keep your home at a comfortable temperature but to improve the air quality and protect your HVAC system from any kind of damage and costly repairs in the future.
What are AC Furnace Air Filters Used for?
An AC Furnace air filter’s purpose is to improve your home’s air quality. When you are consistent in changing out filters, this can increase the longevity of your HVAC and keep your home free from dust and bacteria build-up.
How Often Should You Replace Your Air Filters?
If you are wondering about when is a good time to replace your filter, that probably means now is the time and that it is better to be safe than sorry. When you are on top of changing your filter, this can prevent further issues of failure in the future. Changing out your AC filters could really depend on the living situation and what type of filters are being used. One of the best ways to determine when to switch your filter depends on the impact you are noticing on your air quality.
There are some factors to how often you should replace your filter, but replacing it once every three months is a general way to do it. However, here are a few factors that could influence you changing your filter more often:
- Do you have pets? Whether you have cats or dogs, their fur or pet dander can cause your heater to work more than it should and block the filter more. When you check the filter out frequently, this can help your home to stay clean.
- How often do you use your AC furnace? Replacing your filter depends how often you are using your HVAC system. If you are not using it during certain months of the year, then you don’t really need to change the filters. Also, keep in mind that having a clean furnace filter does not only impact the air quality, but it can keep your home warmer during the winter.
- Does anyone in your home have allergies or asthma? A filter is designed to prevent bacteria and dust buildup in the home. It’s important to consistently change or clean the filters out to prevent any kind of respiratory issues.
- What types of filters are you using? The quality and type of filter you are using can determine how often you should change your filters.
Never Let Your Filter Get Too Dirty
It is important to never let your filter ever get too dirty. A dirty filter can cause respiratory problems and destroy your AC quicker. With a small quick change, a filter replacement can have a huge impact on your home’s air quality. If you are looking to save on energy costs and feel like you can breathe in your home, then it’s important you are changing or cleaning your HVAC filter frequently.
What Type of Filter Should You Use?
There are a few options of filters to consider that can improve the air quality of your home and meet the needs of you and your family members. Be sure to check out how effective the filter is when trapping airborne particles. Comparing the minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) could lead you closer to the right filter. The higher the MERV, the less particles. Here are a few of the most common filters to consider for your home:
- Fiberglass Filters: This is a cheaper option of filters. They are about 1” thick and great at providing basic filtering. These filters work best when replaced every 30 days.
- Pleated Filters: Pleated filters come in a variety of width and are the best at filtering out airborne pollutants than the fiberglass filter. Due to the higher surface area they provide, they can last about 3 months to a year before having to replace them.
- Washable Air Filters: These filters are removed and cleaned when needed, rather than replaced. They aren’t as common, but are great for filtering out on surface build up.
- Electrostatic Home Filters: Electrostatic filters are used to generate static electricity when air pulls through. They work well at filtering dirt, but they require a lot more cleaning. If not properly and consistently cleaned, this can cause the motor in your HVAC system to blow.
When coming up with the right filters, be sure to contact your local HVAC technician for any questions you may have about sizing, MERV Value, or filters that are best for allergies and other respiratory issues.
How to Install Your AC Furnace Air Filters
Installing a new HVAC filter isn’t difficult and is a quick process you can easily do without a HVAC professional. It’s important to install it correctly to prevent filtering efficiency. Here are a few simple steps on how to install your filter correctly:
- Locate the filter air box and look for the ducts near the front.
- On the new filter, look for the arrow that shows the airflow direction. This arrow needs to face the furnace and away from the duct that pulls air in. Use a permanent marker to write down the date you started using the replacement filter.
- When you slide the new filter in, make sure it’s pointing in the direction of the furnace. The arrow should ALWAYS point toward the furnace.
Have More Questions? Ask the Professionals!
Are you currently in the process of replacing your AC Furnace Air filters, but still have questions? The professionals at ProServ Las Vegas can help! If you are in need of any AC or furnace repairs, then we can guide you in the right direction. Call us today for your home’s HVAC needs.
Categories: Air Conditioning